Re: home occupations       reply
From: Kathryn McCamant (kmccamantcohousing-solutions.com)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 10:15:29 -0800 (PST)
I think having people working out of their homes can be a real benefit to
the community, and likely to become increasingly popular as more and more
people work independently.

I remember an early study that concluded about 30% of cohousers actually
work full or part time from home.

Having more people working from home, and their clients coming and going,
increases your security with more ³eyes on², reduces driving (and climate
impact), and bring positive exposure to the community for future resales.
For example, the lovely family that bought the house next door to me in
Nevada City Cohousing, knew about the community because they brought their
daughter to our common house for violin lessons. Having people working
from home also means they are more likely to be around when the community
needs someone to let in a repair person or other such things during the
day.

I would agree with Phillip, and suggest giving it a try, thinking about it
optimistically, and if there are indeed problems that arise, then deal
with them, or retract the option for people with more than a certain
number of visitors for their business. But I¹d hate to see you not even
give it a try before you know if there are really any issues. You might be
surprized how little you even notice those other visitors.

Katie
--
Kathryn McCamant, President
CoHousing Solutions