Re: Experience with allowing Home Based Businesses with Clients       reply
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 04:00:30 -0800 (PST)
Even in single family zoning districts that prohibit them, home businesses with
client visits are more common than you think.  They try to operate under the
radar.  And that is the point:  If a home business is creating little in the
way of nuisance or risk … why not?  Coho world is different of course:  More
intimate relations with your neighbors and their activities, different
expectations for visitors, privacy and security.  So there are some interesting
possible Why Nots:
     (1) Access?  Is the business within an “apartment” style building, where
access is through the commons, and common corridors?
     (2) Scale?  What if everybody does it, or what if a business expands to
include a paid assistant and 45 visits a week?  And …
     (3) AirBnB?  The last time this came up, the trend of discussion was that
AirBnB created some unique challenges that needed more management … and
prohibiting AirBnB seemed appropriate to many.

Over the years, the view I’ve come to is … A cohousing community should do
every plausible thing it can to accommodate, or support, all the needs and
interests of all its members — without, of course, over-compromising the needs
of others or community character.  So long as client visits do not seem likely
to create risk, noise, parking problems, etc, then approach the request with
optimism, and don’t work too hard to anticipate and solve hypothetical problems
that aren’t happening.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing