Blue Line proposals 2020 - Mpls, MN
Oct 2020: Now that the BNSF and Penn Av alignments are out
for the Blue Line extension in Minneapolis, MN, I propose the
It would start like previous proposals and have the first stop close
to where the Van White stop would have been at Olson Highway and Van
White Blvd (Emerson Av). But then it would turn north and follow the
Emerson Av corridor north to stops at Plymouth and Broadway and then
on north to 26th Av N where it would turn west to Broadway Avenue.
See Google Map of Blue Line proposals
Assuming it could reasonably fit in this alignment, it would have
1) It would serve the eastern part of the Harrison neighborhood
which was promised service by the earlier proposals.
2) It would serve Broadway at Emerson WITHOUT the disruption of
following the congested portion of Broadway (if that is even feasible).
A stop near the Penn Av and 26th Av N would serve nearby Broadway Av.
3) It would serve North Memorial Medical Center (which the BNSF proposal
did not do)
4) It would serve Plymouth Av at Emerson
5) The Van White Station could include a a new safer way for
pedestrians to cross Olson Highway.
6) In general it would better serve the population of North Minneapolis.
Note that in terms of serving people, where stops are located is more
important than how the the train gets between stops.
Fred Olson fholson [at] cohousing.org or 612-588-9532
This page is maintained by Fred Olson,
resident Homewood area of Near North neighborhood,
1100-12xx Russell Av Block Club captain and
early citizen participant Blue Line Extension discussions (~2016)
Fred's Link page